MTP kit is used for Pregnancy termination, early pregnancy termination, extra uterine pregnancy, blood loss and other condition. MTP kit works by blocking the effects of progesterone, preventing the ulcer information. MTP kit is an anti-hormone that acts by blocking the effect of progesterone, a hormone which is needed for pregnancy to continue. MTP kit can cause termination of pregnancy. It can also be used to soften and open the cervix to the womb. MTP Kit is recommended for the following instruction:
- For the medical termination of a pregnancy- no later than 63 days after the first day of your last period. This substance that increase the contraction of womb. Mifepristone and Misoprostol in combination with another treatment called prostaglandin.
- For softening and opening the cervix before surgical termination of pregnancy during the first trimester.
- As pre-treatment before giving prostaglandins for termination of pregnancy for medical reason beyond 3 month gestation.
- To induce labour in cases where the foetus has died in the womb and where it is not possible to use other medical treatments (prostaglandin or oxytocin).
Mode of action of MTP Kit
MTP kit contains Mifepristone 200 mg and Misoprostol 200 mcg.
- Mifepristone is called the abortion pill. It is a synthetic steroid with anti progestational effects. Mifepristone is causes the placenta to separate from the endometrium, softens the cervix and increase uterine contractions to allow the uterine content to pass.
- Misoprostol causes uterine contraction to expel the contents from the uterus. It increase the contraction of the uterus to cause abortion. It can also prevent post-delivery bleeding due to poor contraction of the uterus.
Dosage regimen of MTP Kit
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it has a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. It is taken by recommended the doctor.
Side effect of MTP Kit
Uterine contraction in the hours following prostaglandin intake, effects related to prostaglandin use such as:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Heavy bleeding
- Light or moderate gastro intestinal cramping
- Uterine cramp
- Hot flushes, low grade temperature
- Excessive vaginal bleeding
- Uterine haemorrhage
Drug interaction of MTP Kit
Medicine containing the following substance may interfere with the action of MTP Kit:
- Anti-inflammatory or asthma treatment drug such as corticosteroids
- Anti-fungal or azole drug such as Ketoconazole, Itraconazole
- Anti-biotic drug such as Rifampicin, Erythromycin
- Anti-epileptic drug such as Carbamazepine, phenobarbital
- Non steroid anti-inflammatory drugs
Contraindication of MTP Kit
- Grape fruit juice should not be taken when you are treated with Mifepristone.
- Have a blood clotting disorder
- Severe hepatic failure
- Some gynaecological condition
Storage condition of MTP Kit
MTP kit should be stored at normal temperature. Do not use if the box or the blisters show signs of damage. Keep away from heat and moisture.